Visit picturesque New Zealand
The land of Kiwi and the Maori, rich in culture and heritage. New Zealand offers something for everyone. From adventure activities, wine tours, picture perfect photographs and nature. The country consists of two main islands – North and South islands. The Maori name for the country is Aotearoa meaning land of the long white cloud. New Zealand is also home to the first person to summit Mt Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary on 29 May 1953.
There are various ways to see the country, from backpacking, camping and luxury accommodation. Take a two-day trip along the Manuatu Scenic Route or a three-day trip of Auckland and Waiheke Island.
Not to be missed is a visit to Milford Sound for an unforgettable trip – this place must be one of the most beautiful destinations in the world. Add Milford Sound to your itinerary. Don’t forget to learn to do the Haka while visiting New Zealand. What about a three-day wine trail from Hawke’s Bay to Wellington where you can cycle the wine trails.
All this talk of travel makes you hungry. Eat your way through your holiday by trying things like steamed pudding, a Marmite and Chip Sandwich, kiwifruit or Pavlova. Remember to try Hokey-Pokey ice cream too.
Cruise it, scuba dive it, walk or hike it; New Zealand will awaken your imagination and enrich your senses with the country’s flawless beauty, landscapes, food and people.
Things to do in New Zealand
- Otago central rail trail: Depart from Middlemarch to Clyde for a fantastic holiday. Go for ab adventure and enjoy time with family and friends. Enjoy anything from trail walks, fishing, biking, mountain ranges, explore old goldmine villages and treat yourself to delicious food. Fancy a round of golf? You can do that too. Go on a wine tour or visit sites like Styx Hotel and jail, Hayes Engineering works and Mitchells Cottage. There’s plenty to do for the whole family. This tour is one for the bucket-list. Accommodation can be booked along the trail.
- Lake Wanaka: Nature has never looked this good. Take a walk to the hills that overlook the lake or head off on Millennium Track where bikers and walkers can enjoy some of the best views in Wanaka.
- Great War Exhibition: Journey through the First World War in this superb exhibition. There are guided to tours for visitors. Entry to the exhibition is free.
- Wine Tours in New Zealand: Take to the countryside for a sublime wine tour. The best thing to do is hire a wine tour guide to lead the way. They will also take you places according to preference. Even better, you can enjoy the sights while the guide drives you to each destination. You will even get to meet winemakers in person. Tour regions such as Napier, Hawke’s Bay, Martinborough, Cromwell, Gibbston and Malborough. The food on the tours is also brilliant. A wonderful way to spend a day.
- Sky Tower: A promise of the most awesome view of Auckland. Sky Tower is the tallest made-made building in New Zealand. Take the elevator to 328 metres and take in the view from one of the three viewing platforms. Adrenalin junkies can jump off the tower at 192 metres – not for the faint at heart!
- Bay of Islands: This is one of New Zealand’s favourite travel destinations known for game fishing, untouched beaches and Maori culture. Bay of Islands consist of more than 140 islands. Fisherman, get the thrill of catching a Marlin or Kingfish in these waters. Enjoy traditional or gourmet food or even take a road trip. There are trail and hiking tours too. Visiting museums, overnight trips and scuba diving can all be part of your holiday. Do a sail charter with professional crew for extra fun and excitement.
- International Antarctic Centre: Visitors of all ages will be excited when visiting this interactive and fun centre. See what it’s like to survive an Antarctic storm and play with Penguins. Experience what it’s like to travel through Antarctica or take a seat in the HD Theatre and be captivated by a short film. For more adventure, the 4D Theatre offers a simulated cruise. The 4D effects makes you feel really close to the animals. This is a must for adventurers.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: For every Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan. Go on a guided tour of this fascinating set or do an evening dinner tour. Accommodation is available on farms in the region with great hospitality in real Kiwi style.
- Great Lake Taupo: Adventure paradise! Skydive, bungy jump and do some river rafting. Take a floatplane flight over the snowcapped volcanoes too – not to be missed.
- Air Force Museum: Located in Christchurch, the Air Force Museum is one of New Zealand’s best attractions, with guided tours, simulators and over 30 aircraft to get close to. A great day visit for everyone.